A land audit ordered by President Uhuru Kenyatta found that 500,000 acres of public land were seized in Lamu County between 2011 and 2012. The land, which accounts for nearly 70% of Lamu’s land, was illegally allocated to 22 private entities.
According to the president, most of the seized land is in the LAPSSET corridor where Kenya, in partnership with Uganda, Ethiopia and South Sudan, plans to set up a port and an oil pipeline.
“The land was strategically seized for speculation targeting Lapsset. 13 of the 21 berths in Lamu port have been awarded to lessees. The Lamu Special Economic Zone was awarded to private companies during the same period, ”the president said.
President Uhuru ordered that title deeds to the land in question be revoked, the land possessed and those involved prosecuted.
Companies that took over Lamu County land
1. Brick Investments Limited, LR No. 29110, obtained 40,014 acres
2. Brick Investments Limited LR No. 29113 obtained 40,014 acres
3. Rusken International Limited LR No. 2911 obtained 40,014 acres
4. Mat International LR No. 29115 obtained 40,014 acres
5. Witu Nyangoro (DA) Company LR No. 29274 obtained 0.79, 534 acres
6. Witu LR Conservative Self-Help Group No. 281448 obtained 54,201 acres
7. Shanghai Investment Limited LR No. 29247 obtained 19,760 acres
8. Fincorp Investments (K) Limited LR No. 29246 obtained 41,990
9. Kaab Investments LR No. 29322 obtained 6,268 acres
10. Sheila Ranch Limited LR No. 29254 has 5,399 acres
11. Dynamic Trading Co. Limited LR No. 29067 obtained 22,230 acres
12. Savannah Fresh Fruits Exports LR No. 29067 secured 24,502 acres
13. Mokowe Kibokoni Ranch Limited LR No. 29256 obtained 6,725 acres
14. The community of Panda Nguo Boni obtained 12,350 acres
15. Baragoni Boni Community LR No. 2927 has 19,760 acres
16. Khalrala Ranch LR 29255 has 12,276 acres
17. Cyberdom Investments LR No. 29322 obtained 11,000
18. Baragoni Ranch
19. Enganani Ranch
20. Lamu Investments
21. Amu Ranch
22. Maalim Ranch
Business owners who grabbed land in Lamu County
1. Investments in brick
Registered on 12/9/2011. N ° CPR / 2011/62444. The directors are Alice Masaa and Margaret Kavulani with 1 share each
2. Brick Investment Limited
Registered 8/5/2011. N ° CPR / 2011/53032. The directors are Lars Jonas Geke and Timothy Kuria with 500 shares each.
3. Dynamic trading company
Registered 9/9/2011. N ° CPR / 2011/55975. The directors are Alice Masaa and Margaret Kavulani with 1 share each.
4. Mat International
Registered 03/15/99. No. C. 84842. The directors are Twalib Ali Mohamed Hatayan with 620 shares and Abdicated Hagi Yarrow with 380 shares.
5. Shanghai Africa Investment Limited
Registered on 4/11/2013. N ° CPR / 2013/121805. The directors are John Gitu Kiarie, Peter Njiru, Peter Mwangi, Daniel Mwangi, Simon Wanjohi, Burton Maina, Michael Kariuki and Jeremiah Gikonyo.
6. Fincorp Investments Limited
Registered on 6/08/2011. N ° CPR / 2011/54278. The directors are Farouk Hamid Khamis and Said Abdullah with 500 shares each.
7. Kaab Investments Limited
Registered on 12/10/2007. No. C. 145956. The directors are Zein Mohammed Ahmed with 32,400 shares, Aweys Ahmed with 21,600 shares, James Mwangi Muturi with 12,000 shares and Balwinder Kaur Sagoo with 54,000 shares.
8. Dynamic trading company limited
Registered 03/21/2005. No. C. 115530. The directors are Vijay Kumar with 1 share and Ankit Bhardwaj with 32,400 shares.
Apparently, 14 of the companies that allegedly seized 500,000 acres of land in Lamu do not appear in the registers of the Registrar of Companies.