FG to pay N20,000 grant to 4,786 Adamaoua residents

0
Farouk

The federal government has said 4,786 people in Adamawa State will benefit from its one-time grant of N20,000 for vulnerable groups, with a total budget envelope of N400 billion.

The government has reiterated that its poverty reduction intervention is still on track to lift 100 million Nigerians out of poverty by 2030.

The statement, credited to Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Sadiya Farouq, was made in Yola, the state capital, on Tuesday.

Sadiya, who was in the Adamawa state capital to inaugurate the second disbursement stream, noted that the intervention of the FG has recently freed up N400 billion for the government’s social investment programme.

She explained that the administration of President Major General Muhammadu Buhari (Retired) when it was established in 2015 had inherited a national poverty incidence level of 70% on average, adding that despite d For other economic challenges, the administration had paid more attention to generating solutions in addressing the plight of the poor and vulnerable through the national social investment program.

She said: “The Vulnerable Groups Grant (GVG) scheme, which we have come to distribute to beneficiaries today, was introduced in 2020 to support the social inclusion agenda of President Buhari’s administration. It is in line with the national target to lift 100 million Nigerians out of poverty in 10 years.

“It is designed to provide a one-time grant to some of the poorest and most vulnerable Nigerians in rural and peri-urban areas of the country. A cash grant of N20,000.00 will be paid to the poor and vulnerable category in the 36 States of the Federation and the Federal Capital Territory.

“Thanks to this grant, many beneficiaries will improve their productivity and business activity, which will help lift them out of poverty.

“Let me add here that our target in Adamawa State is to disburse the grant to 4,786 beneficiaries across the 21 local government council areas.

“In line with President Muhammadu Buhari’s Social Inclusion, 70% of the total number of beneficiaries are for women while the remaining 30% are for youths.”

While commending Adamawa State Governor Ahmadu Fintiri for the state government’s support for the success of the NSIP program in the state, Farouq urged other state governments to support the efforts of the FG to reduce poverty.

Share.

Comments are closed.